So lately I’ve been thinking about what I could post on this blog, and I keep coming up with random thoughts rather than an actual blog post… so here are some random things going on in my head these days:
- Traffic here is hilarious to observe. Case in point: I take bus 149 to get home after work. The bus left at the regular time, made a tight right turn, and had to stop short because another bus 149 was broken down. The two buses were stuck in a very narrow road with opposite traffic going through the other lane. Impatient drivers behind the bus decided to go around the buses, only to realize that they were nose to nose with another car trying to leave the narrow road! One car finally decided to go a different way, but the other car backed up a little bit, and (somehow) managed to get around the bus. Finally my bus was able to get around the broken bus by going into the opposite lane of traffic (a bus going the opposite direction stopped the rest of the traffic to allow space). The best part of this? I was the only one watching what was going on; everyone else on the bus kept on reading their book or minding their own business.
- Ketchup: My students love ketchup and will put it on anything! Pizza, pasta, chips, popcorn, white rice. I get pretty grossed out by where ketchup ends up… I’m sticking to ketchup on my fries.
- AFN (Armed Forces Network) commercials are terrible. They all are produced by the military. There are commercials reminding people to turn off light switches, clean up their yards, be a considerate roommate, and keep your records in one location. And they make these commercials with different themes (crazy wedding planner lady, Sherlock Holmes scene, dirty sock puppet).
- Muesli and yogurt for breakfast… It has made me, um, regular, which is, um, a first for me. And it tastes yummy.
- Metro rides are like free entertainment. The other day, I was standing to the side of a man who was sitting down, and next to him were two women who were chatting. The woman closest to the man blew her nose and somehow she missed the tissue and all of it ended up on the guy’s pants. It looked like fresh bird poop. Gross. The guy pointed it out to her, and she and her friend each pulled out tissues and started to clean up his pants. He wasn’t very happy. The ladies didn’t seem too fazed by the situation, though.
- We are moving on Sunday to an apartment right by the embassy. This is awesome because Pete will now have a 5 minute commute (most of which involves the elevator) and my commute will be cut down by 20 minutes. And we get to live with two cats. We will also be right downtown so we can go out more in the evenings. I will, however, miss the pretty green area of where we are living now.